WARNING

HIGH SCHOOL NORMALITY contains strong language and some themes not suitable for audiences under 17. Viewer discretion is advised.

Friday, September 18, 2009

School

PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN ON HIGH SCHOOL NORMALITY
"I was wondering if you would maybe want to have dinner with me next Friday?"
"Sure. Meet you at 3.14?"
"It's a date."

"I had a really great time tonight."
"Me too, David. I really like you."
"What happened after coffee anyway?"
"We told each other we liked each other and than I got out of her car."

"So are you ever going to drive again?"
"Michael, I can't even get in a car without being scared shitless that I'm gonna get in an accident."
"The best way to conquer a fear is by looking it dead in the face."
"You know, I was thinking that I could always get a ride to work with Rabbi Lewitt. We live right on the way for him."
"So you'll save on gas?"
"Well, this way you can have the Prius to take to school and to work."
"You're giving me the Prius?"

"You still bought the pill, so I can't give you your money back."
"Fine. But Don't ever try to sell drugs to me again, because if you do, I'm going to kick your ass."

"David, he kissed me."
"And you kissed him back. No matter what you say about it, it all comes down to the choice you made to kiss him back."

"David, I'm going to England for a semester."
"England, huh?"
"Only for a semester. Besides, there's really nothing here to keep me from going. That's why I asked you if you wanted to get back together. It would have been a reason to stay."
"Have a great semester."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Jake!"
It was my brother Jake's first day of high school, and my first day of senior year, and things were already starting off on the wrong foot.

"Can't I sleep for just ONE more hour?"
"Sure, if you want to ride the bus."
"School doesn't start until 7:30! Why are you waking me up two hours later?"
"Because I like to get there early, and besides, it's going to be a jungle this morning with everyone getting their schedules. So if you don't want to be trampled on by angry upperclassmen, I suggest you get your ass up!"
"OKAY, OKAY!"

After we were dressed, we quietly went downstairs, ate breakfast, and got in my dad's prius to begin another exciting year at Summit Peak High School.

My name is David, and I'm a normal high school student.
But it wouldn't be long before that title would change to normal college student and than just normal.

When we got to school, Jake and I were greeted by my three best buds, Michael Florence, Aaron Stanwick, and Mark Adams.

"Aww, did the wittle boy want to come wif his big bwuver to see the big high school?"
"I go here now, dumbass."
"Oh David, look how he's grown!"
"Yes, he's definitely not a little boy anymore."
"Are you guys retarded?"
"Jake, go find some other freshmen to play with if you can't play nicely with the seniors."
"You guys are so weird! Kristen, wait up!"

So Jake went galloping toward his friend Kristin, and I didn't see him for the rest of the school day.

"They just grow up so fast!"
"They really do."

We proceeded to exchange schedules. I had AP Government with Aaron, and Pre-Calculus with Michael. Of course we all had choir together. Mark had a half-day and none of us had any other classes with him.

"So Mark, is your mom gonna pick you up from school? 'Cause you know there's not a bus at lunch."
"Well, Leah Grayson offerred to give me rides home as long as I give her rides home--if you know what I mean."
"Mark, doesn't it get kind of old having sex with all of these different women."

Mark pondered this for a moment.

"Um, no."

And the moment was gone.

"Hey, boys."

Michael's girlfriend Leslie Lawrence had arrived.

"Hey babe. What's your schedule look like?"
"Well, it's a light blue color and has black text."
"Hey, it looks like you have government with Aaron and me."
"Yeah, and we all got Mr. Jackson again! Sweet!"
"I pity all of you, with your AP classes and your full days."
"Actually, I have a half-day."
"Hey, me too! Do you think you could give me rides home after school?"
"Sure, you live really close to me. I could give you rides to school too if you want."
"Wow, that'd be great. Thanks, Les!"
"No problem. It'll be better than getting rides from Leah Grayson. You don't want to know where that thing's been!"

It was actually really nice to be back at school. Things at home were more complicated than usual with my dad moving back in. He was only gone for three months, but it still took a little getting used to being that my mom was trying to figure out how to trust him again and I was figuring out how to even like him again. Giving me the prius was sort of a step, but it was only a small one, and we had a lot of work yet to do on our relationship.

DING DONG DING DONG

"I guess I'll see you guys in choir."
"Yeah. See you in Gov, Dave."
"Okay. Come on Michael, we don't want to be late for the GREATEST subject in the entire world."
"Oh yeah, I wanna be the FIRST ONE THERE!"
"Have a nice first half of your day, honey. I love you."
"I love you, too."

The first half of the day went by really slowly. Mostly it was a day for receiving syllabi and learning what exciting things we would be learning this year. It was almost strange that it was our last year of high school; our last year of going to the social hell-hole full of cliques and paperwork that required a parent signature. I didn't feel like a senior. I didn't really think I looked like one, either. I felt like at any minute someone was going to mistake me for a freshman.

First period had gone by pretty smoothly, and second period was bound to be just as smooth. After all, I had Leslie and Aaron there, and Mr. Jackson was teaching it, which meant it would be a good year. But when I walked into the classroom--

"--I know you won't be disappointed. There's nothing like coke on a stressful day."

I wasn't sure if my shock was brought on by the sheer presence of Steve Weiss or if it was the fact that he was selling cocaine out in the open. Whatever it was, I felt as though my jaw was on the ground.

"Dave, let's sit up there."
"Okay."

Steve and I exchanged glances and Aaron and I took our seats in the front right-hand corner while Steve sat in the back left-hand corner by the door.

"I didn't even realize he was smart enough to be in AP Government."
"He's probably smarter than most of the kids at school. He has never even been suspected of drug trafficking."
"How? He does it right there in the open!"
"Maybe he only carries one stash at a time so that in case he is caught he has no evidence."
"Clever."

Mr. Jackson gave us our syllabus, explained it, and than we went to third period, and than to choir. Our 25 year-old teacher, Miss Connolly, was in a really good mood. I guess it was that first-day glow.

"WELCOME TO CHOIR!"

Definitley a first-day thing.

"I'm Miss Connolly, and coming around is the choir handbook. We are going to go over it today so that we can have fun the rest of the week. So, choir is..."

As Miss Connolly went through the content of the handbook, the four of us looked around the room at the new faces. There were a LOT more people than last year, especially in terms of males.

"The guy to girl ratio is completely different!"
"Mark, be a leader."
"Sorry, Miss C."

There were some new girls, too. Some beautiful new girls, if I may say so myself.

"Do you have a question?"
"No, I'm letting my nails dry."
"I'm sorry, what's your name?"
"Mal Wales."
"Oh yes, Mallorie. I've heard a lot about you. Welcome to choir."
"Thanks, but in all seriousness, I do have a question."
"Oh, I'm sorry, what's up?"
"Well, it says here that we'll be wearing panty hose?"
"Yes..."
"Um, I don't own any."
"Than go buy them. Moving on..."

Mal Wales was very punk rock and actually really pretty too. She had an attitude, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but overall she wasn't really my type. I really wanted to be friends with her, though.

Before we knew it, the bell rang again and it was time for lunch. On our way out, we caught a glimpse of one of the new beauties talking to Miss Connolly.

"I just want to thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to be in this choir. I know that I'm only a sophomore, but I know that I can handle anything you put in front of me."
"Well I saw a lot of potential in you when you auditioned, Lupe. Have a great rest of your day."

Lupe Gonzales emerged from the choir office and we could hear the voices of a million people resound in the most beautiful chord we had ever heard.

"I think I'm in love!"
"Mark, you're not in love."
"But she's HOT!!!"
"So am I, but Michael didn't fall for me based on my good looks."
"And all thoughout choir she was eye-fucking the shit out of me."
"You didn't even notice her until the end of class."
"You don't know what I notice. You're not me!"
"Mark, you'll just have to wait and see what happens. In the meantime, find someone else to have sex with. I'm sure you have plenty of candidates."
"But I want to have sex with THAT one!"
"And maybe someday you will. But for now, take it one day at a time."

DING DONG DING DONG

"Well, there's no use staying around. Come on, Mark."
"Okay. Bye everyone."
"Call me later, Michael."
"I will."

My next stop was journalism, and then I would end my day in jazz choir. Mark wasn't much of a jazz singer, so he felt no guilt for missing out on the festivities.

As Mrs. Beasely took attendance, I thought about my first day. I could already tell that this was going to be a good year for everyone: Michael and Leslie were more inseparable and nauseating than ever, Mark was possibly on the verge of monogamy with Lupe (at least for one night), and Aaron continued to exert his confidence in his Mormon opinion. And when things calmed down a little bit at my house, than there was a chance that I might actually enjoy spending time with my family. Not to mention Joy was in England for the semester, which meant that the possibility of relationship drama was limited.

"I am so sorry I'm late! I had to talk to my counselor about some scheduling things. But I'm here now. Callie Anderson."

Then again, high school without drama is just not normal.

David Adler
Normal High School Student

No comments: